As the name suggests, Cocker Spaniels originated from Spain and were bred to work all day as a gun dog.
This intelligent and gentle breed is hardly the couch potato type and needs plenty of exercise daily. Because Cocker Spaniels tend to be high energy, leisurely walks maybe a challenge. Putting a harness on your dog will help make exercise more manageable as well as secure.
There are many types of harnesses on the market, and some serve a specific purpose. With so many choices, how do you find the right fit for your dog? Here is a breakdown of the basic types of harnesses and what they are best for.
- Safety – A crash-tested harness, that restrains your dog in the car in case of a sudden stop or impact, is the safest kind. Some attach easily to your car’s seat belt system, and are also a walking harness.
- Durability –There are many durable materials used in the construction of a dog harnesses, but rip-stop nylon, canvas and denim are some of the more durable.
- Material – Harnesses are made from leather, plastic, nylon, and other types of fabric. If your dog tends to get wet while on walks, consider something that dries quick. If your dog chews then you will need a sturdy harness.
- Adjustments- A harness should have many points of adjustment, in order to fit dogs of all shapes and sizes. A harness with at least 4 adjustment points is ideal to find your dogs perfect fit.
- Comfort – Harnesses should be made from comfortable materials to prevent chaffing. Soft mesh and plush fabrics can help provide adequate comfort around nylon, if well designed.
- Cost – A good harness is a small investment. There are many quality harnesses at reasonable prices depending on your needs.
- Style – There are many harness styles and the best choice will depend on your dog’s personality and size. Some styles are no-pull, standard, step through, dual strap, etc.
- Visibility – If you walk your dog in low light conditions or hike wooded areas, you may want a high-visibility harness. Some include reflective material or tiny LED lights to make sure your dog can be seen.
- LED – An LED dog harness is usually constructed from lightweight materials, and comes with a variety of useful features, such as adjustable light modes, reflective strips, and rechargeable batteries for hours of use.
- Back Clip – Back-clip harnesses attach on top of a dog’s back or shoulders. These are best for smaller, calm or well trained dogs.
- Front Clip – Front-clip harnesses have a leash attachment on the chest. This gives the owner more control and stops the dog from pulling. These are best for larger dogs or dogs that pull.
- Multi Clip– Some harnesses come with attachments on both front and back. This gives the option to use it as a front or back clip when walking your dog.
- Reflective – A reflective harness is a necessity if you walk your dog at night or in low light situations. This keeps your dog from harm and makes him easier to be seen.
- No Pull- No-pull harnesses are a simple way to discourage your dog from pulling. They usually have a front clip attachment and some have front and top for dual control. There are usually straps that cross above the dogs shoulders and behind the front legs.
- Step Through – A step-through harness means your dog puts his front legs between two loops to get into the harness. Once the dogs legs are in position, a single buckle attaches behind your dogs front legs.
The 5 Best Dog Harness for Cocker Spaniels
- Step-through design
- Reflective strip
- Mid price range
- Back & front clip
Pawtitas Camouflage Reflective Padded Dog Harness has a step-through design that makes it easy to put on your excitable Cocker Spaniel. It is great for long walks day or night, since its reflective strip is designed to reflect light from the environment or ambient light.
It even works in low light conditions, providing maximum visibility when you need it most. It has a thick neoprene padding which means it’s ultra-comfy to wear, and is available in different sizes and camo colors so you can find the right one for your Cocker Spaniels individual personality.
- Runs small
- Only two adjustments
- Great for long walks
- Durable and Sturdy
- 3M reflective material
- Seat belt handle attachment
- Chest o-ring for no pulling
- Mid price range
Chai’s Choice 3M Reflective Dog Harness is a durable and highly reflective option for your Cocker Spaniels walks. This harness is crafted to remove pressure from your dog’s neck and disperse it through cushy and lightweight mesh padding on the chest and belly.
It is also equipped with reflective piping interwoven into its durable nylon exterior to make sure your pup is visible when walking at night.
With 4 adjustable straps, nine vibrant color options, and a wide variety of size choices you can customize this harness for your dog. C
haotic walks and car rides will be a thing of the past if you choose to use the chest-mounted O-ring to discourage pulling. You can also buckle your dog in for road trips by slipping a seat belt through the sturdy built-in handle on top of the harness.
- Two leash attachment options
- Mesh padding on chest and belly
- Available in many sizes and colors
- Best for larger dogs
- Sizes may run small
- Reflective stitching
- D ring on top
- Quick release buckles
- Detachable car restraint
- Mid/high price range
The EzyDog Chest Plate Dog Harness provides the ultimate control and comfort for your dog. The ergonomic foam chest plate helps distribute the load across the chest instead of the throat.
This makes it easier to handle a dog that tends to tug and pull like Cocker Spaniels. It also conforms to your dog’s chest for a comfortable and custom fit.
The quick-release buckle closures and adjustable straps keep the harness snug but also make it easy to put on and take off. For nighttime walks, the EzyDog Chest Plate Dog Harness has light-reflective stitching that helps increase visibility. This harness also includes a car restraint attachment to keep your pup safe in the car.
- Easy to adjust straps
- EVA foam chest plate
- Distributes weight evenly
- Can be difficult to get on
- Chest plate comes up too high on some dogs
- Chest plate is too narrow on some dogs
- No-pull chest attachment
- Four adjustment points
- Mid price range
- Chest strap prevents choking
PetSafe Easy Walk Black & Silver Dog Harness makes walking your Cocker Spaniel a breeze by discouraging pulling and lunging. Instead of pulling on your dog’s sensitive throat, the Easy Walk Harness attaches near the chest, allowing you to steer your dog and regain control over daily walks. This harness is available in multiple sizes and colors to fit any breed of dog.
- Available in many colors and sizes
- 2 quick snap buckles
- Straps are labelled chest, shoulder, belly
- Great for dogs that pull
- Sizing may not be accurate
- Needs adjusting often
Frisco Padded Front Lead Dog Harness
- Over the head design
- Multi -clip design
- 2 fast release buckles
- Low price range
The Frisco Padded Front Lead Dog Harness is a great option for Cocker Spaniel owners who are looking for a comfortable harness that will provide additional control on their walks. It is made with high-quality nylon webbing for durability and a padded mesh chest piece, making sure that your pup is both secure and comfortable.
The O-ring leash attachment on the front of the chest piece discourages pulling by naturally redirecting your dog’s attention back to you without causing neck strain. It is great for dogs in training or dogs that need a little extra encouragement to walk on a leash. The over-the-head style harness features two fast-release buckles on either side of the belly strap, which makes it easy to get on and off.
There are adjustable slides on the belly strap and both sides of the shoulder straps, so that you can make sure the harness fits just right. There is also an additional leash attachment D-ring on the back of the harness, so it can be used like a traditional dog harness as well. This harness comes in many sizes and colors.
- Comes in several sizes and colors
- Adjustable in 3 places
- Padded chest piece
- Chest padding shifts
- Better for smaller dogs
- Chest padding falls apart fast
By nature, Cocker Spaniels are active, energetic, and loving companions who need daily exercise to stay healthy. For owners who love walking their Cocker Spaniels, they understand the need for more than just a collar and a leash and invest in the safety of a harness.